Were you born in October? Lucky you… It’s one of our favorite months of the year. That beautiful, natural transition from summer to fall/autumn, the subdued colors, and the smell of fresh air, stews, and good food, and of course a month-long celebration of all things spooky with Halloween.
But there is more to be excited about. October babies celebrate with two (2) October birthstones – Pink Tourmaline and Opal. Both are naturally beautiful just like October babies 🙂
Tourmaline and Opal both have very interesting qualities making them two of the more popular gemstones on the market. Even non-October babies seek out tourmaline and opal. Let’s take a look at some of the attributes of these gemstones.
Tourmaline is one of the most popular gemstones because it occurs in every color of the color spectrum. This gemstone has an intense saturation which makes it more valuable and a coveted October birthstone.
Many tourmaline color varieties have inspired their own trade names:
- Rubellite is a name for pink, red, purplish red, orangy red, or brownish red tourmaline.
- Indicolite is dark violetish blue, blue, or greenish blue tourmaline.
- Paraíba is an intense violetish blue, greenish blue, or blue tourmaline from the state of Paraíba, Brazil.
- Chrome tourmaline is intense green. In spite of its name, it’s colored mostly by vanadium, the same element that colors many Brazilian and African emeralds.
- Parti-colored tourmaline displays more than one color. One of the most common combinations is green and pink, but many others are possible.
- Watermelon tourmaline is pink in the center and green around the outside. Crystals of this material are typically cut in slices to display this special arrangement.
Pink Tourmaline symbolism
Sometimes pink and red tourmalines can be confused for rubies. Pink tourmalines are most differentiated by their electric properties. When heated, they yield a positive charge at one side and a negative on the other. This means they are capable of attracting other particles. Alchemists valued these properties, believing the tourmaline was closely related to the philosopher’s stone, an object that would grant enlightenment.
What do pink tourmalines represent? The pink tourmaline is directly related to emotions and one’s heart chakra. The stone represents love and the healing of emotions.
Opal is the product of seasonal rains that drenched dry ground in regions such as Australia’s semi-desert “outback.” The showers soaked deep into the ancient underground rock, carrying dissolved silica (a compound of silicon and oxygen) downward.
During dry periods, much of the water evaporated, leaving solid deposits of silica in the cracks and between the layers of underground sedimentary rock. The silica deposits formed opal.
Within the opal family, there are many different varieties of opal. Each has its own unique color combinations and character traits. Although experts divide gem opals into many different categories, five of the main identified types are:
- White or light opal: Translucent to semitranslucent, with play-of-color against a white or light gray background color, called bodycolor.
- Black opal: Translucent to opaque, with play-of-color against a black or other dark background.
- Fire opal: Transparent to translucent, with brown, yellow, orange, or red bodycolor. This material—which often doesn’t show play-of-color—is also known as “Mexican opal.”
- Boulder opal: Translucent to opaque, with play-of-color against a light to dark background. Fragments of the surrounding rock, called matrix, become part of the finished gem.
- Crystal or water opal: Transparent to semitransparent, with a clear background. This type shows exceptional play-of-color.
The Greek root of the word ‘opal’ means, “to see a change in color.” It was given this name due to the rainbow of colors one can see in an opal stone. Although wearing the gem is viewed as good luck, the superstitious have a belief that the luck is reversed if you were not born in October.
What do opals represent? The opal represents confidence and faithfulness. The stones are worn to keep away evil and protect eyesight. Wonderful attributes for October birthstones.
Libra and Scorpio Traits
The astrological signs for October birthdays are Libra (September 23 – October 22) and Scorpio (October 23 – November 21).
Libras are fair and peaceful people. They value relationships and find balance in compromising. Libras prefer to keep the peace when possible, so asking them to choose a side will not go over well.
- A libra woman is charming and solution-oriented. She enjoys surrounding herself with people she can speak with who will also listen.
- A libra man is attracted to beauty, which can sometimes deem him superficial. He values confidence but is intimidated by deep or emotional talks.
Scorpios are direct, assertive, and passionate people. They seek answers and will persevere until one is found. Scorpios value longtime friendships, but it’s necessary, to be honest, and direct to stay in their good graces.
- A scorpio woman is fascinatingly complex. She is forceful but can also be secretive. But don’t let this mislead you, although she may come on strong, she has great capacity for kindness.
- A scorpio man loves a challenge. He wants the chase and to be seduced, but still seeks honesty in relationships.
Famous Birthdays in October
There are many famous people that have been born in October. Here’s an example list of just a few famous birthdays in October.
- Mahatma Gandhi, leader of Indian Independence Movement-October 2
- John Lennon, singer-songwriter for The Beatles-October 9
- Carrie Fisher, actress known as Princess Leia in Star Wars-October 21
- Drake, rapper-October 24
- Pablo Picasso, Spanish painter-October 25
- Katy Perry, Pop singer – October 25
- Julia Roberts, actress-October 28
- Bill Gates, co-founder of Microsoft-October 28
Contact Gittelson Jewelers for birthstone jewelry
Gittelson Jewelers can source many different types of birthstone rings, birthstone necklaces, bracelets, and more. Better yet, we can custom design your vision for the perfect birthstone fine jewelry piece. Look no further for your October birthstones. Schedule an appointment today.